108 Weaver Building University Park, PA 16802
My research interest deals with the cultural, religious, diplomatic, political, and ideological encounters and exchanges between the Spanish Monarchy and the Papal States during the 17th century, especially during the reign of Felipe III and Felipe IV (1598-1665). My primary interest focuses on the global phenomenon of European chivalry and how the catholic kings of Spain used their national military orders grants, honors, and patrimonies to maintain loyalties across Europe and, especially, to keep central-European princes under the catholic political and ideological orbit. Additionally, I am very keen on the particular relationship between the King of Spain and the Pope during this period. I want to focus my research on the political interaction between these two actors through the lens of the Castilian military orders since the Spanish Kings were the political and terrene heads of these institutions, but, at the same time, the Pope remained their spiritual one. Thus, many conflicts were triggered during the 17th century to get full control over these powerful and wealthy institutions.
Dr. Ronnie Hsia and Dr. Amanda Scott
Areas of Interest:
Early Modern Iberia, Colonial Latin America, Race and Ethnicity, Military monastic orders, Chivalry, European nobility, Ecclesiastical elites, Church History, Global History, Women and Gender Studies, Atlantic History.
- En el Paraiso de los Altares. Trayectoria, Privilegio e Idiosincrasia de las élites eclesiásticas en la Edad Moderna, siglos XVI-XVIII, edited by Héctor Linares and Daniel Ochoa, Prologue of Ronnie Hsia, (Madrid: Doce Calles, 2023)
- Ceremonia, Magnificencia y Ostentación. La representación del Poder de las Élites en el Antiguo Régimen, siglos XVI-XVIII, edited by Héctor Linares and Marina Perruca, Prologue of Silvia. Z. Mitchell, (Madrid: Sílex, 2022).
- Poder y Privilegio en la Sociedad Moderna. Actores, Medios, Fines y Circunstancias, ss. XVI-XVIII, edited by Sergio Intorre, Héctor Linares, Valeria Patti and Marina Perruca, Prologue of Enrique Soria Mesa, (Palermo: Palermo University Press, 2020).
- De la Nobleza. la Caballería. Privilegio, Poder y Servicio en la Articulación de la Sociedad Moderna, siglos XVI-XVII, edited by Héctor Linares, Elena Mª García Guerra and Marina Perruca, Prologue of Antonio Feros, (Palermo: New Digital Press, 2019).
- European Erasmus Plus Fellowship, European Union, 2022.
- PSU Latin American Research Award, Penn State University, 2022.
- PSU Committee for Early Modern Studies Award, Penn State University, 2022
- McCourtney Family Scholarship, Penn State University, 2022
- Ted H. and Tracy Winfree McCourtney Family Distinguished Graduate Fellowship in American History, Penn State University, 2021-2022
- University Graduate Fellowship, The Pennsylvania State University, 2021-2022
- Predoctoral Fellowship for International Internships, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, 2019
- Predoctoral Fellowship for International Internships, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, 2018
- Predoctoral Graduate Fellowship (FPI), Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, 2017-2021
- University Graduate Fellowship for M.A. Studies, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, 2016-2017
- National Graduate Fellowship for Research Collaboration, Ministry of Education and Culture, Government of Spain, 2015-2016
- National Research Fellowship JAE, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Ministry of Economy, Government of Spain, 2014-2015
- National Fellowship for Foreign Languages, Ministry of Education, Government of Spain, 2012
- National Undergraduate Fellowship, Ministry of Education and Culture, Government of Spain, 2011-2015
- CHAM: Humanities Institute of the Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Visiting Research Scholar, Supervisor: Dr. Pedro Cardim, 2022.
- The Johns Hopkins University
Visiting Research Scholar, Supervisor: Dr. Erin K. Rowe, 2019.
- University of Pennsylvania
Visiting Research Scholar, Supervisor: Dr. Antonio Feros, 2018.
- Vice-President, Penn State History Graduate Student Association, 2022-2023
- President, History Graduate Student Association, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, 2017-2021
- Institutional Relations and Home Secretary, Asociación Española de Jóvenes Modernistas, 2021-2022.
- Senator, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid Senate, 2015-2017
- College representative, College of the Humanities and Philosophy, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, 2015-2017
- Executive Member, M.A in History Graduate Program, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, 2017-2019
- Communication Staff, Ph.D in History Graduate Program, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, 2015-2020.